4 min read
Caring for your jewelry is an important part of ensuring the longevity of its life, as well as keeping it looking bright and shiny. There are many ways to care for your jewelry, although you should be vigilant of the products that you choose to use and be sure it will not damage the diamond or other precious stones. The type of metal used in the ring is also worth considering when choosing how to clean each piece. Here are some of the basics to keep in mind when it comes to caring for your jewelry.
- Keep All Jewelry In A Clean, Dry Place – This may seem obvious, however, keeping your jewelry clean plays a big role in the long-term condition of your jewelry, and the best way is to keep it clean is to make sure where it’s stored is clean. Humidity and other compounds like sulfate in the air can cause some jewelry to tarnish. Keeping your jewelry clean and out of the elements prevents build-up of dirt, which can even scratch the jewelry over time.
- Polishing Helps, Too – Polishing your jewelry is what makes it shine bright and look stunning. However, that’s not all it does! Polishing your jewelry will also buff out small scratches and abrasions, keeping it flawless despite the passage of time. The type of product used to help polish your jewelry is important to the long-term health of your necklace or rings as well. Just be careful how often or hard you do this depending on the metal you use. When you polish silver for example, you lose some of it to the polishing.
- Insure Your Jewelry – Whether or not to insure your jewelry is a question we see many customers wrestle with. While you may not be able to predict the future, you can prepare for life’s unexpected surprises. Insurance allows your mind to be put at ease with your jewelry’s future with many insurance option plans covering damage, loss and more. There are also multiple sources from which you can have your jewelry insured, which gives you the opportunity to choose the best option based on your unique, individual needs.
- Ask Your Jeweler If They Do Free Cleanings – A good jeweler will offer free cleanings to clients, because who wouldn’t want their work to shine! This includes inspection, cleaning, and polishing with the right materials! All you need to do is contact them to schedule a time to drop your jewelry off and they should take care of the rest.
- How Often Should You Clean Your Jewelry? – One of the most common questions that we hear pertaining to the care of jewelry is “How often should it be cleaned?” The truth is that your lifestyle and regularity of wearing a piece often determines this. We would recommend monthly or every other month, however, some people may need to clean theirs more often. We do suggest ensuring that you gently wash your rings with your hands daily for sanitary reasons.
Just as you would with any other investment, your jewelry should be cared for regularly to ensure the longevity of its life. This is incredibly important if you plan on passing your jewelry down to children or grandchildren in the future. It is simple and easy to care for jewelry, depending on the kind of metal and stone used. For this reason, we encourage all of our clients to take care in storing and cleaning their jewelry. For more information on jewelry care or to drop yours off for a cleaning, feel free to contact the Diamond Room of Dallas today.